Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless
by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

Disclaimer: You may vomit from this post because I'm going to get all fan girl gif sappy on you.

THERE ARE NO SPOILERS, but I did put a few lines from the book that won't spoil your read. You may even read the lines and be like, "What's the big deal? I'm not impressed." I felt that way too when I read these same lines in other places, but trust me. . .you will cry when you read them in the book.

SKY and HOLDEN Wow!

This book is what books are suppose to be. This book is more than romance or coming of age or the typical hyped up amazon bestseller that does well because there are a lot of crazy people who are buying a bad book. PLEASE BELIEVE THE HYPE ON THIS ONE, BABY! I would never guide you on the wrong path.

This book is THE book to start your 2013!

It's about the impact others can make in your life. Even a child to another child.



"The sky is always beautiful. Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy, it's still beautiful to look at....it'll be there no matter what...and I know it'll always be beautiful."



Finally a book with a lot of hype that DESERVES all of the HYPE. I mean there have been some books that people have raved about that were pure crap. So I walked into Hopeless feeling. . .well. . .Hopeless.

And you all know me well. I mean I bitch and bitch and bitch about Bestsellers that are crap and here comes this book that tears my damn chest a part, grips my beating organ in its fingers, and won't freaking let go...and if that's not sick enough...it makes me laugh and at times arouses me...as its killing me from the inside!

So I'm reading the book. First three chapters are cool, nothing mind-blowing. The main character is fine. I found the prologue to be unnecessary. I'm thinking to myself that I'll give it two more chapters and then I'll DNF it for something better.

OH MY GOD! I'm so glad I stuck to five chapters because then Holder walked into my life. . .I mean Sky's life. So I'm reading and loving it. I'm thinking okay.



This is a great New Adult Contemporary Romance. But stupid me had no idea that this is a goddamn Mystery and Psychological Thriller!

Yeah.

I mean. I'm a writer. I love my books. I got fans. I'm secure within myself. And then this heiffer Colleen Hoover comes along and makes me want to be a BETTER WRITER! Damn you! She makes me want to revise more, add more, feel more, cry more! I hate you!

Okay back to the book.

“F#%k all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers,” Holder said.

Holder said that, but dear god this is the BEST FIRST KISS I've ever read! I may go to my hometown and smack the crap out of the guy who gave me my first kiss. Sure his wife and kids may be taken aback, but if I read them all the passages of the first kiss, then they'll get it.



“Not everyone gets a happily every after. Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope.”



I do wish that someone had told me that this book would stay in my mind for a long time, that I would fall in love with these characters and then cry when they cry, and hurt when they've been inflicted with pain, and rejoice when they've figured out a way to heal, because in the end there is some healing. It's not a Disney ending, but it made me feel better about saying goodbye to Holden and Sky.






2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you loved this book because, like you said, it deserves all the hype and more. This story was heartbreaking, but also uplifting, like you mentioned above, it really shows how others can impact your life and provide an anchor when you feel like your life is tearing apart. Wonderful review for a wonderful book (love the gifs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! It was a really wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete